Note: This segment was taken from the 2021 BibRave BRProud Summit, and is just a sampling of materials covered.
Do you think it’s time to take your social photos up a notch? Here’s a quick 5 min segment outlining some considerations.
Here’s the condensed notes:
1. Consider its use! GoPro’s, 360° cameras, drones and the like are powerfully awesome tools. But are an investment of time and money. Consider how often you’ll use this technology and decide if it’s worth the investment.
2. Save money – once you’ve decided to pull the trigger, look for sales (especially on older models), used equipment, and even factory refurbished are a great way to save money.
3. Consider the application – most name brand cameras have an associated application. These make it easy to review, capture, and share your action shots right from your phone. If the action camera you are considering doesn’t have an app, think about how you’ll retrieve the footage? Is it easy or a hassle?
4. Be cautious of knockoffs – these can be enticing especially when they are priced in the $30-60 range. Check the reviews and do your research! Find out how they work and if they are a match for you.
Disclaimer: I received the Ready.Set.Move. Box to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
Ready.Set.MOVE. is a quarterly subscription box created for those passionate about running and those moving toward their fitness goals.
Each box is filled with industry-leading products, valued at $100+, that can be put to use right away for your next workout, training session, or run.
Check out my unboxing where I dive right into the goods!
Every box costs $49.99 if you want to purchase them on your own but you can save $20 right away by signing up for the whole year ($179.99 total).
Boxes are shipped every January, April, July, and October. They make a great gift for the active someone in your life- or you can treat yourself to this awesome subscription!
Use code BibRave10 at checkout for $10 off your first box for all first-time subscribers!
But don’t take my word for it, check out what the other Pro’s are saying:
Disclaimer: I received the BUFF DryFlx+ Collection products to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews!
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! Actually I lied, this time of the year is when I struggle the most with choosing to #optoutside. The days are short, the air is crisp and hurts my face (don’t let the beard fool ya), everything is cold, and all I want to do is sleep.
Needless to say, if there is ever a time where I need motivation to get out the door, this time of the year is prime for said motivation.
That’s where BibRave comes to the rescue and introduces us to awesome brands (like BUFF) that are focused on making our time outdoors more comfortable. And that’s exactly where the BUFF DryFlx+ Collection comes in clutch!
When I received my BUFF DryFlx+ gear that was all the motivation I needed to shake me from old man Winter’s grasp!
When the temps dip into the 30°F (-1°C) range and below, protection from the cold becomes essential. However, I find that on a mild day, I warm up too quickly and my clothing choice (headgear specifically) becomes too much. Likewise on a bitterly cold day, protection for my ears and neck are crucial yet somehow I always end up overheating and becoming uncomfortable with sweaty gear.
If you visit Bibrave’s BUFF link, sign up for the newsletter and receive 15% off!
Cold and Sweat can spell disaster if not properly addressed. This is where the BUFF DryFlx+ Collection really shines!
I received the DryFlx+ Neckwarmer and Hat, an awesome combo for the outdoor runner! According to BUFF, the DryFlx+ construction boasts:
4-Way ULTRA STRETCH
100% Seamless Woven Design
The fabric is breathable and light, yet provides warmth to the areas that need it the most. I have found overheating isn’t an issue when I layer up with the DryFlx+ products.
The neckwarmer is made from a one-piece design, and has engineered holes that allows you to breathe through the mask.
I’ve been using the combo hat and neckwarmer for well over a month and these two items have been added as permanent fixtures in my cold running arsenal.
The hat design is similar to the neck warmer (without engineered holes) and fits my head well. Typically when I overheat the hat is the first thing to go, however I find that this hat is breathable and eliminates the need for removal. This is awesome news if you’re like me and don’t like having to carry things on the run- especially gear that you should be wearing.
Eliminate your fears of being cold, grab the BUFF DryFlx+ collection of products and build your cold running kit today! But, don’t just take my word for it, here’s a few other Pro’s take on the product line:
Disclaimer: I received entry into A Christmas Story Virtual Race to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!”
A COVID Christmas!
Ah, Christmas. The one day of the year where the kids wake us up before the sun rises. We stumble down the steps, sleep still in our eyes. We open gifts and play “A Christmas Story” in the background. Then, when the living room is covered in discarded wrapping paper and empty boxes we feast on an amazing breakfast. After filling up on Christmas pancakes, we pack up the AWD sleigh and drive 2 hours East to be with family.
It was right in the middle of opening presents when reality slapped us in the face. “Mom has a fever” Dad’s text read. It was like the Bumpus hounds came crashing into our living room destroying our dreams of having a huge family Christmas gathering.
For the second time in 37 years, I wasn’t going “home” for Christmas. We all were a little bummed, but then again the pandemic has pretty much turned the entire landscape on its head, so we weren’t surprised that this year would be any different.
Surprisingly, it was refreshing having no where to go. And even more refreshing going for a 10k run to celebrate the “A Christmas Story Virtual Race”!
I decided to take advantage of being home and took off to catch some sights and enjoy some time with my thoughts. I reflected on Christmas’ of the past and how much I value my family. It then dawned on me that we’ve been watching “A Christmas Story” since as long as I can remember! Such memorable moments from the movie, and my favorite part still being Flick putting his tongue on the flagpole!
Anyway, no records were broken, just me out on Christmas Day enjoying time alone and thinking about my family and friends.
Just prior to Christmas Day I received my race swag, and I was pretty impressed with the overall haul.
The jacket is lightweight and breathable (it’ll make a perfect jacket for running in the fall and beginning part of winter when the temperatures are still fairly mild). I typically opt for a size larger since it’s hard to tell how well (or not) these things fit.
I typically wear a size L, so the XL jacket fits a little on the loose side, but it pretty comfortable and I’ll enjoy it running or lounging!
The knit hat is thick and plush, make no mistake it’s definitely made for winter use and keeping those ears warm!
The medal is heavy! I was shocked at the heft of the medal since it’s not that big. My only suggestion would be having the medal reflect more of something from the “A Christmas Story” movie… I mean, a leg lamp would have been hilarious, it’s a major award afterall!
Since we planned on NOT being home for Christmas, we had no food set aside for a Christmas dinner. So in “A Christmas Story” fashion we had our own Parker style Christmas dinner (Indian food was the closest we could get).
Despite not seeing family, it was fun to get out and run a 10k and having our own mini-celebration of Indian food afterward.
Celebrating my Top Nine photos from 2020! It looks like I need to wear more variety in my running shirts… and ironically, most of these photos are from the same timeframe. Guess I had an amazing August-September!
I was catching up on the BibRave podcast over the past couple of days and wanted to share my rose, bud, and thorn as well. For those unfamiliar with this concept: the Rose is something from the past year you are proud of (some event or thing that really bloomed for you). The Bud is something that you are cultivating that is growing and you’re excited about. The thorn is something that did not bring you joy, or something that genuinely disagreed with you.
Rose: this might be an unpopular opinion, but the pandemic was my rose this year. It taught me how to cut out toxic relationships and provided me with a true understanding of what it means to take care of oneself and family. Our calendar was wiped clean, I found myself unemployed, yet I wouldn’t have traded that situation for the world. My family and I feel so much closer ever since.
Bud: this year I’ve had the pleasure to work with some amazing brands, and it looks like it’s only going to get better in 2021! I’m so excited for the future and looking forward to cultivating new friendships and experiences along the way. A large part of my 2021 mantra is to “run happy” through life. I’m so pumped to kick things off I’ve already started putting my mantra into practice!
Thorn: here’s a heavy dose of irony. Social media (since I shared this on Social Media). I kinda agree with Tim Murphy (BibRave) and have to say I’m not sure I like where some of these platforms are headed. I try to keep a positive mental attitude and follow accounts of likeminded people- and most recently I’ve been keeping an eye on how much time I spend in various platforms, making sure I disconnect and let my brain reset.
Over the past month I’ve been nursing some tenderness in my lower back. Some days it’s manageable without any pain medication, and other days it takes all I can just to walk without looking like I’ve been hit by a truck.
Last week I felt like my hips were locked, and no matter how much stretching I did, I couldn’t seem to get a good satisfying “crack”.
And here’s what happen next:
Since the initial pop, I’ve been trying to not crack my back everyday, but rather stretch out my back in various ways to help alleviate the tightness.
And as curiosity has a way to get the better of me, I went ahead and decided to see what the fuss is all about over these “Chirp” wheels.
Do you have a runner (or active individual) in your life and really looking to ROCK their holidays? OR are you active individual and looking to treat yourself with a little holiday cheer?
You’ve come to the right place!
I’ve put together a list of all my favorite goodies that should fit all your holiday shopping criteria!
Just a quick note: due to FTC guidelines, I should mention I’m an ambassador for a few of these brands, and as such have received products for free for me to review. I also have special affiliate links and discount codes for said products, so keep an eye out! These brands are marked with an asterisk (*)!
Products for those feet!
I’m not affiliated with any of these sock brands, but find myself using them often. Socks are an important tool in your runner’s arsenal. Equip them (or yourself) with the very best!
1. Feetures Socks! Feetures are my go-to sock brand! I have several pairs and can attest for their quality and durability! These make a great affordable stock stuffer!
2. Smartwool Socks! A close contender to my go-to’s, are these awesome widely available socks. Smartwool socks are durable, comfortable, and make great stocking stuffers!
Tech for those on the move!
1. Aftershokz Bone-Conducting Headphones*! These are the last pair of headphones you will ever buy. You read that right. Hands down, my life changed after I made the jump to Aftershokz! Right now there is a “Soundz of Joy” sale being promoted just in time for the holidays. Check them out, you won’t be disappointed! I have first hand experience with all the models, each are designed to fit every budget and will make a GREAT gift.
Products to Recover!
1. GoodFor CBD Products*! My go-to pain-relief cream is the GoodFor brand cream, it’s the most effective topical treatment that helps relief aches and pains from intense workouts and activities. This makes a great stocking stuffer for the runner in your life, and is even more affordable when you use my discount code: KEN15
2. Science in Sport Recovery*! After a workout recovery goes a long way into building your performance. I have been using SiS Recovery for the last month with no complaints. SiS formulas are vegetarian friendly and don’t contain any harsh or foul tasting chemicals. The chocolate flavor is my favorite! Right now SiS has a 50% off Black Friday sale going on!
Cold Weather Gear!
1. BUFF Dry Flx+ Collection*! Just in time for the cold weather! This gear has your head and face covered to help keep you moving no matter what the weather throws at you! Make sure you use visit: https://buffusa.com/bibrave and sign up for the newsletter to receive 15% off!
2. TurtleGloves*! Keep your hands toasty warm while on the move! TurtleGloves provide superior protection against the elements and come in a variety of colors and sizes perfect for nearly every runner! Use discount code: TURTLEBIBRAVE to save 15%
Gear to say visible!
1. Foxelli Head Lamp! This USB rechargeable head lamp has served me well over the years! Affordable (less than $20) and durable, this head lamp makes for a great stocking stuffer!
2. SlapLit LED Slap Lite! Looking to stay visible to others when running at night? Just slap this bracelet onto your wrist or ankle, press the button and let the flashing LED do the rest! For around $10 you can’t go wrong with the cheap insurance!
Energy for the Run!
1. MickFit Energy Drinks*! My go to drink for a bump of energy and refreshment! MickFit comes in various flavors that will satisfy any taste! I’m a HUGE fan of Guava Pear, and always make sure I’m stocked up! Use discount code: KEN10 to save 10%
2. MetCON Pre-Training Formula! I try to avoid any pre-workout supplements, but made the exception for MetCON. This energy supplement blends easily with water or combined with MetCON’s various hydration products and goes down smooth! This pre-training formula provides nice and sustained energy throughout most of my workouts and is at the top of my supplement list!
3. Honey Stinger Products! As a Honey Stinger ambassador I feel like it goes without saying, but I love their energy chews! And they make for great stocking stuffers! I carry the energy chews with me on all my long runs and have never been let down! If chews aren’t your game, give the waffles a try, honestly, you can’t go wrong! Honey Stinger products ROCK and the runner in your life will love them too!
4. Tailwind Nutrition! I use Tailwind products on all my long distance runs over 10 miles. Tailwind doesn’t hurt my stomach or give me trouble when I consume it on the move. Try out their starter pack to find what flavor works for the runner in your life (or you)!
You can neverhaveenough Tech hats!
1. BOCO Gear! If you or your runner has a tech hat obsession like me, checkout BOCO Gear for all the latest and most awesome designs! And not to mention, BOCO gear has more than just hats, so check them out!
Rock the Holidays!
Anyway, I hope a few of these items will find their way into your home for the holidays! Make your runner’s (or your) holiday a hit and ROCK the season of gift giving!
Disclaimer: I received entry in the Christmas Story Virtual Run to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
It’s that time of the year again! Last year I missed out on the opportunity to participate in the Christmas Story Run in real life, so when I saw the event went virtual I jumped on the chance!
This Christmas classic is a MUST in our house, and there isn’t a year that goes by where we don’t watch it at least 5 or 6 times!
Join me and the BibRave team as we tackle the optional 5K or 10K distance (you’re preference at checkout)!
Disclaimer: I received free entry into the AllState Hot Chocolate 15k to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
The AllState Hot Chocolate Series has a very special place in my heart. The 15k was my first official race I registered for when I started running. I had no clue how long a 15k was, but it sounded like a nice number at the time. Little did I know how awesome this series was going to be, and how much it would mean to me!
My mom and I both registered for the 15k distance not knowing what we were in for, but it didn’t matter because the swag was so cool! I just remember being overly excited for hot chocolate and being able to collect my first medal honoring my achievement.
On the day of the race the weather was uncertain and gray, and as we made our way to our corral it started to lightly rain. I remember questioning what we had gotten ourselves into! What followed was a race that produced memories that will last a lifetime. Mom and I shared in a memorable and somewhat miserable first race experience.
However, that distance forever changed how I viewed running- it showed me what I was capable of achieving and more so how I can overcome any obstacle as long as I believe in myself and just focusing on keeping moving forward.
Over the years I’ve had the pleasure of running in numerous races and being able to travel to awesome cities. No matter what, I always make sure I register for the AllState Hot Chocolate series races! They remain to this day my favorite all around race experience.
Also, traveling for work I’ve had the opportunity to run in new areas outside of my normal everyday comfort zone. Three years ago I traveled to Ohio and on a whim decided to pack running gear and hit the streets. It turned out that my favorite place to run in my travels was Columbus Ohio!
Columbus has so much to offer and during my travels was one of the most friendliest cities to run in. The amount of sidewalks and walkways provides endless opportunities to explore all the city has to offer. I would run every morning before sunrise and every evening after sunset just to soak it all in!
And what destination is complete without a recommended food guide! Stay tuned for more to come later, but I just had to share that I’m registered to run in the virtual AllState Hot Chocolate 15k for Columbus!